Aged Cheddar and Sour Cream Chip Crusted Mac n' Cheese Balls
We all love a good Mac n’ Cheese, but when I fell in love with the Cape Cod Aged Cheddar and Sour Cream flavor, I knew I had to incorporate it into a recipe for you all. To refrain from any lost flavor, I wanted to use it as a crust. So I thought..naturally..why not make it the crust of Mac n’ Cheese balls?! And here we are, breaking our diet and not the least bit mad about it. Below is the full recipe!
MAC N CHEESE
- 2 cups elbow macaroni pasta
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shedded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shedded mozarella cheese
MAC N CHEESE BALLS
- 6 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 bag Cape Cod Aged Cheddar and Sour Cream Chips
MAKING THE MAC
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to boxed directions
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until fully melted. Slowly add in flour while stirring constantly until a roux forms. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne and mix
- Slowly add the milk while continuously stirring after each addition. Keep stirring until a thicker consistency begins to form.
- Stir in cheese by adding a small amount at a time. A sauce should being to form. Once sauce has thickened, add in the cooked macaroni and stir until coated thoroughly
- Let the Mac n Cheese cool and pour the whole amount into a deep pan. Place the pan into the freezer for at least 2 hours. This will allow you to form balls easily.
FORMING THE BALLS
- Add the vegetable oil to a pot and allow to boil
- Add the flour, eggs, and crushed Cape Cod Chips into 3 separate bowls (crush the Cape Code chips by putting them into a zip lock bag and crushing with a rolling pin)
- Take the pan out of the freezer and coat your hands with a little butter to keep the Mac n’ Cheese from sticking to your hands.
- Roll the Mac into your preferred size balls. Coat each ball in flour, then eggs, then the chips. Make sure each ball is thoroughly coated.
- Add each ball to the heated vegetable oil (be careful not to burn yourself). Cook for 5-6 minutes or until browned.
- Set aside to cool and enjoy!