The Famous Emmy Burger Recipe
The Emmy Burger is one of those staple burgers that you could recognize just by a photo of it. From the pretzel bun right down to the signature Emmy Sauce, it is definitely one-of-a-kind. Unfortunately, I don’t live in NYC and Emily doesn’t ship 🙁 so I decided to use their recipe and make it at home! See below for the ingredients/steps!
For the Burgers:
- 4 burger patties of your choosing
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 pretzel buns, toasted
- 1 large white onion (thinly sliced, caramelized)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup gochujang (paste)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup mayo (I used kewpie mayo)
- Caramelize your white onion for 30-40 minutes over medium heat in a saucepan. Stirring occasionally. Be patient!
- To make the sauce, whisk the sugar and vinegar together in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add the gochujang and mix until well combined.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the minced garlic and sesame seeds and cook for about 2 minutes or until the garlic has cooked down.
- Add your garlic/butter mixture to your gochujang and mix until well combined.
- To make the Emmy sauce, mix 1/4 cup of the sauce with 1/2 cup mayonnaise. Set aside and make your burgers.
- Cook your patties to your desired temperature and add a slice of white cheddar cheese to each patty (making sure it is fully melted)
- Butter your pretzel buns and toast each bun
- Build your burger: Put a tsp (or more) of Emmy Sauce on each bun. Place your patty on top of your bottom bun, top with caramelized onions, and then your top bun!