In-n-Out Animal Style Burger
Below is the copycat recipe for the famous Animal Style burger at In-n-Out. Because we don’t have In-n-Out on the east coast, some of us have to make due with what we have! See below 🙂
- 2 Angus burger patties
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large tomato ( will need 1-2 slices)
- iceberg lettuce
- 2 slices cheddar cheese (can use American if you prefer)
- hamburger bun (I like Arnold bread or Martins)
- 4 dill pickle chips
- yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- mix together all ingredients listed above until uniform. Set in fridge until ready to use.
- Dice your white onion and cook in a large saucepan on medium heat for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Be patient, caramelized onions take some time but keep the heat low/medium to prevent burning. Once they’re done, set them aide.
- Add some butter to both of the hamburger buns and toast them. Set aside.
- Grill (or pan fry) your burger patties. To make them look like in-n-out, make your patties very thin. While they are cooking on one side, squeeze some yellow mustard on the uncooked side before flipping. Once you’ve flipped, add your cheese on top of cooked side and allow them to finish cooking.
- Add some onions to the top of both of the patties and place one on top of the other.
- To build your burger, start with your bottom bun, add the secret sauce, pickles, tomato, lettuce, patties, sauce, then top bun. And there ya go!