The Levain Cookie Recipe
The Levain Bakery Cookie has been one of my favorite cookies since I began food blogging. Because it is located in NYC, I’ve had to attempt making it in my house for years now. I’ve played with the recipe quite a few times, and a lot of you have made them using my recipe variations, but I think this one is the best I’ve come up with to date! See below for details 🙂
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (mixed milk and dark chocolate Ghiradelli)
- preheat oven to 410 degrees
- in a standard mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth and fluffy
- add in the eggs one at a time. mixing each one in thoroughly. then add in vanilla extract
- mix your dry ingredients together in another bowl: flours, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda
- once mixed, combine your dry and wet ingredients until dough is formed (mix together slowly)
- fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place cookie dough balls onto the sheet. I use a regular ice cream scooper to create mine, but feel free to make them differently. Make sure they are not perfect balls, allow them to be “bumpy” to give that levain feel. Refrigerate your cookie dough balls for 20-30 minutes and place in oven for 10-12 minutes
- allow to cool/set before serving
Should the butter be room temperature?
Can you please email me this so i can print it out and make it?
How much does this recipe yield???
These are amazing!! Stayed chewy – even a few days after I baked them! My new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe 🙂
I also added a tsp of vanilla because that’s I like my cookies with extra sweetness!
Baked for ~18 minutes in a Viking oven at 375F. Crunchy around the edges and perfectly soft in the center so it’s an awesome cookie!
Are the walnuts necessary or are they optional?
best cookie ever!!
I have a quick question! I made the mug/smaller portion version of this recipe first and it was absolutely AMAZING. Life changing. We’re going to make the whole batch next week, but I just noticed that the proportions of the ingredients aren’t all equal to what they were in the mug recipe. I was expecting pretty much everything to be quadrupled from the mug recipe, but the brown sugar is only doubled, despite the butter being quadrupled and the other dry ingredients being tripled. I REALLY want to recreate the mug version’s flavor and texture, but yield a good dozen or so cookies. Should I try just quadrupling the ingredients for the mug recipe, or will these turn out comparable in texture and flavor?
Sorry for the trouble- I just really loved those mug cookies!